Friday, December 14, 2007

Last Post from Africa!

We have just returned from a one day vacation on Ssese Island to soak up some final rays of equatorial sunshine before we head off to Paris tomorrow morning! I'm a bit worried about the climate shock as we have no coats, and very few warm clothes, but one of our first stops will be the biggest flea market in Paris, so hopefully we'll have a bit of luck there.
I am a bit sad to leave Africa... I think i'll miss the scenery, children, rafting, and pineapples most, possibly in the reverse order. I'm not all that sad though as I hear Paris is at it's most beautiful around this time of year, and there are several nasty contagious things floating around Uganda at the moment... Ebola being the biggie, with the bubonic plague, typhoid, and as always malaria. I got one really wicked bout of sickness the other night, where I really started to miss Canadian bathrooms... by 4am I had woken everyone in he house up, and there was talk of bringing me to the hospital. Luckily it didn't come to that and whatever it was it seems to be over now so off to Paris I go! Hopefully they don't decide to stop letting ppl from Uganda in because of the ebola outbreak... I think it might be hard to work up a good holiday spirit spending Christmas in quarantine.
We've got a jam-packed itinerary for Paris so I'm not sure if I will be posting again, but it is my goal to get some pics up here at some point!
Au Revoir!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geeze, Jules, it'll be good to get you home! a case of the 24 pint flu will be nothing to you now. Enjoy Paris, and keep yourself safe and warm there, too. You and Megan are still far away from home, you know. Amuse-toi bien.
YOSM

Louise said...

Julia- Many thanks for the cool African card and kind words.Handmade card- the best!Top shelf.Very interesting blog-well written-easy to picture you in this unique land.Glad you could bond with the as it is very rewarding (knew you could do it!)
You have been in our prayers as promised, especially in the area of safety and contagious disease.Who knows maybe it was for the horrendous experience underwater or the bungee jump.
Enjoy the remainder of your trip-great stuff. Blessings, Gerry & Louise