Thursday, November 1, 2007

halloween, blood and missing heads

Happy Belated Halloween!!!
I thought I was going to have to miss out on the festivities this year, but luckily we have met 8 other Canadians, and they threw a party last night to celebrate - the Kenyans think we're nuts when we try to explain the concept... Magz and I bere giant bottles of Tusker (African beer) and our costumes were definitely the coolest haha. Onto an actually scary note, the way into the internet place was a bit crammed with people today because someone has just been murdered in the building next door and their head was cut off and stolen. Every time I start to think this isn't that different from home, something like that always reminds me that it is.

On a ligher note, I gave blood for the first time today! Apparently they Kenyans aren't as concerned as the red cross is that I was in Englad during the foot-in-mouth disease scare..

The canadians we met ranted and raved about their experiences in Uganda for hours - so we are very excited!!
We've got plans to go rafting down the nile and bungee jumping into it, just to name a couple things!! (sorry mom!) As for our actual volunteer work while we're there, we find out more once we get there and meet the locals who comprise most of the organization we're working with down there (The Real Uganda).
I hope it isn't too cold over there, It's been in the twenties every day here but don't be too envious, Magz and I will be in for a real shock when we land in Paris mid-December acclimatized to Africa with no coats!

Well, I best head out before it gets dark...

Kwaherini!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Jules - there has been the first dusting of snow, and heavy scraping of windshield this week. But still pretty nice weather. Mer says you have good pics on Facebook. How do I see that, or is it classified as in not for mother's eyes?

Love it!

YOSM

tayloroak said...

I'm loving your stories Jules! I'm really trying to picture your African beer costume! Too funny,
Also, Gram asked me to pass on her comments-basically she's really enjoying your weekly blogs and looks forward to each new installment.
Quiet Halloween here. Hannah went out with friends but spent most of the night talking and not enough loot gathering. Sadly, not enough chocolate for her mother to steal!
Hey, when you get to Paris, be sure to get the chocolate crepes at the square overlooking the Eiffel Tower, across the Seine. I think it's either the Trocadero or Passy Metro stop. Delish.
Anyway, take care and stay safe!
The Oakville Taylors